I love essential oils. It didn’t take long for me to amass a rather large collection of them! Now, just what to do with all of these wonderful oils? I begin to search for more ways to use the oils – beyond the regular uses for health and immune support.
I found several ways to enjoy the benefits of essential oils around the house! So I ditched the chemical cleaners and sprays and started using oils and homemade cleaners instead. You also can use essential oils for so much more than health and wellness! I’ve put together my “Top Ten” list for some of my favorite uses for essential oils around the house.
Essential oil uses
- Green Cleaning – the citrus oils are great to boost cleaning power. Add some Orange, Lemon, Lime or Grapefruit to a glass spray bottle with vinegar for a natural, non-toxic cleaner. (see links at the bottom for some recommendations on glass spray bottles).
- Eliminate fridge funk – Smelly freezer or fridge? Place ½ cup baking soda with 4-5 drops of your favorite citrus oil or some lemongrass.
- Spider-be-gone – Peppermint and water in a glass spray bottle. Spray around the window, doors, etc. Wave goodbye to the creepy-crawlies with this spray!
- Freshen your dish sponge with some lemon. No more stink by the sink- lemon keeps things nice and fresh.
- Deodorize the trash cans with some baking soda and geranium, grapefruit or lemon. Sprinkle in the bottom of the trash can before putting the liner in.
- Room Spray (aka #2 spray)- add your favorite oils to a glass spray bottle with some water and ditch the toxic chemical rooms sprays. My favorite is lavender and lemongrass together.
- Fresh Feet – keep your shoes and sandals fresh with some basil, geranium, or lavender. Use either a spray or place a drop on a cotton ball and place inside the shoes at night.
- Put a drop or two of your favorite essential oil on your furnace filter(s) the next time you change them out. Enjoy the fragrance of essential oils every time your home’s climate control system kicks on.
- Place a drop or two of lavender on your child’s favorite stuffed animal or blanket for restful sleep.
- Use lemon essential oil to remove sharpie marker from countertops, walls, etc.
My favorite glass spray bottles I found on Amazon. These Chefland spray bottles have a trigger spray which makes for easy spraying.