Not sleeping well? You’re not alone. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, one in three American adults do not get enough sleep. Why? The usual reasons. Work stress. Financial problems. Overstimulation. If this is you, we’ve put together a list of a few great essential oils for sleep that will help you out.
This isn’t the kind of health issue you can simply ignore. Sleep deprivation can result in everything from reduced cognitive and emotional function to microsleeps. This term refers to a period of time, about 30 seconds in length, during which you briefly fall asleep without meaning to. They can occur after just one day without sleep. At work, this means your performance will suffer. Behind the wheel, it could mean getting into a serious accident.
Unfortunately, prescription sleep medications often have negative side effects. While it’s always smart to listen to the advice of your physician, it’s also worth remembering that there are many natural remedies to sleep problems. If you’re having trouble relaxing, essential oils can help promote a more peaceful state of being.
Especially helpful essential oils for sleep include:
- Lavender: Lavender doesn’t merely just possess a pleasant fragrance. Numerous studies have confirmed that it’s very useful in promoting sleep. A 2013 study is especially noteworthy for indicating that aromatherapy procedures with lavender essential oils improves the quality of sleep in ICU patients.
- Roman Chamomile: This essential oil enriches a space with a soothing, peaceful atmosphere. People often choose to apply it in the bedroom in order to induce a more relaxed state of being. Experts recommend applying it at night when you’re intentionally choosing to switch to a more restful, relaxed state. By linking the aroma with calming experiences, you’ll increase the oil’s effectiveness.
- Orange: Not able to sleep at night because you can’t shake feelings of worry? Feeling anxious is often at the root of sleep problems. Luckily, there’s a natural remedy. A 2015 study shows that aromatherapy procedures with orange essential oil is effective at reducing anxious feelings in women during labor. If it can help them calm down, it can certainly help you too.
- Valerian: Valerian is one of the most widely-recommended essential oils for sleep problems. Many apply it topically to the body, finding that it has a peaceful, grounding quality. Studies indicate that it is especially useful in reducing the amount of time that it takes for a person to fall asleep. If you find that you spend far too much time tossing and turning before you’re able to drift into sleep, Valerian essential oil is likely to help.
- Cedarwood: Sometimes, the mere aroma of an essential oil can induce a relaxed state. People often find that the scent of Cedarwood evokes a cozy, peaceful feeling. Are you the type of person who needs to feel warm, comfortable, and safe in order to sleep well? If so, invest in an aromatherapy diffuser and Cedarwood essential oil.
Again, it’s important to listen to your doctors when addressing sleep issues. Your insomnia could be related to a medical condition that requires more substantial intervention. However, that doesn’t mean that prescription pills with negative side effects are the only possible answer to your problems. Try these essential oils, and you may find that achieving a calm, rested state is much easier than you imagined.
500 ML Large Iron Essential Oil DiffuserProduct on sale
Essential Oil Diffuser – 3d Galaxy 230ml Ultrasonic Glass Aromatherapy DiffusersProduct on sale$18.00 – $49.97